All about reseller hosting on managed cPanel/WHM serverReseller Hosting is a form of web hosting where the account holder hosts websites for third parties by using his/her allotted hard drive space and bandwidth. The reseller purchases the host’s services at a wholesale scale and sells or rents them to customers for a profit. In case of reselling shared hosting services, the permission granted to a reseller; to sell a certain amount of space and bandwidth to their own customer. The portion they originally bought from the hosting company. Now the reseller may divide this allocated portion into smaller portions to resell to more than one customer. Simply put, the allocated disk space and bandwidth of the hosting account that is bought from the original host can be split into a number of portions and then resold to different customers as separate hosting accounts. What is cPanel and WHM? cPanel is a Linux-based control panel that is mainly used for web hosting purpose. cPanel provides a graphical user interface (GUI) along with many automation tools that aim to simplify web hosting. Admins, resellers, as well as end users: everyone is capable of owning various aspects of the website. WHM or Web Host Manager program is one of cPanel’s master management tools. It gives the user much more control and flexibility while managing multiple domains or websites; whether a few very popular resource-consuming sites or a large number of small websites. With this tool, the user can create and manage multiple cPanel platforms as well. This is because; when the sites are business oriented or just some popular blogging site, it is always better to host them on separate cPanel platforms as managing multiple domains on a single platform can turn out to be quite a chore. Furthermore, having separate cPanel platforms increases the security level of each of these platforms. Let us say for example you have ten to twelve popular sites on the same platform. Say one of your customers rarely secures and updates the script used in the site. Now, if this site is hacked, then all the remaining eleven sites that are hosted on the same platform can also become compromised. Thus, if these sites are on separate cPanels then they will be detached from one another and in the event one of them is compromised, the others will remain perfectly safe. Also, as the sites are on different cPanels, so their owners will feel much better about the privacy of their own sites.
Benefits of Reseller HostingReseller Web-Hosting has many benefits. Here, we will look at some of them 1. Less Expensive for Start-up It is much less expensive a venture for new entrepreneurs as well as for a start-up. A reseller can design his/her own service plan and pricing method; plus they can manage their own brand via a particular control panel(s) and server(s). Reseller actually works as the intermediary between the consumer and the wholesaler, i.e. a retailer. The original hosting services are the wholesalers whereas the end users are the consumers and the reseller only purchases the disk space and bandwidth of the server from the wholesaler and sells or rents parts of it to the consumers. 2. No additional Maintenance required Instead of purchasing their own server a reseller only purchases a certain portion of disk space and bandwidth from a web hosting service provider. As such it is almost like having their own server with an added incentive. A reseller will never have to worry about server maintenance as the hosting company itself handles it all. Thus reseller business needs no maintenance cost. Any and every such problem is dealt with the tech support department of the hosting company.
3. More control over Resources As reseller account allows the user (reseller) to create their own plans for selling to the customers this helps the user to calculate the approximate number of resources per plan and client. Also other than the resources the user can control and manage different aspects of the website like disk space, bandwidth limits etc. 4. Better income Reseller hosting business is good for both start-ups as well as existing web-hosting businesses looking to increase their revenue. 5. Account Upgrades To incorporate more space and bandwidth from the original hosting company Sometimes reseller accounts can be upgraded. These upgrades are of course not free but at an affordable price. 6. Reliability As a reseller you will always have adequate resources in your inventory to support your clients and as such build up your business as a trusted and reliable one from the point of view of your clients.
Managing reseller accounts in WHM ServersHere we will see how you can create, modify and delete accounts in Web Host Manager. But before we go into that keep one thing in mind: unless and until you have created a package you cannot create your account in WHM. So we will first see what we mean by a package. WHM uses packages that are nothing but a collection(s) of predefined settings while creating accounts. For example, there are two types of packages available for resellers, namely, “Basic” and “Premium”. Just as the name suggests, the first package may have comparatively less allocation of disk space and bandwidth than the latter one. Now, after you have created any one of the packages, you can create your account and get busy reselling.
CREATING YOUR ACCOUNTA new account generally includes the following:
- website functionality; found in the “public_html” directory,
- FTP account,
- SSH access;
- From the WHM home screen, go to Account Functions, and then click Create a New Account.
- Under Domain Information, type in the domain name in the Domain text box. Be sure NOT to add the www sub-domain to the domain name.
- WHM automatically fills in the Username text-box based on the domain name provided.
- Type in the password you want to give in the Password text-box and confirm by retyping it. You can also create it through Password Generator provided there.
- Give the account holder’s email in the Email text-box to receive automatic cPanel notifications.
- Under Packages either select the package you have created or select the Select Options Manually checkbox.
- Under DNS settings, you have to keep the SPF option checked and leave the DKIM option unchecked. Unless you want the domain to use the registrar’s name-server keep the name-server option unchecked.
- Finally, click on the Create option. WHM will display your account configuration information on the screen.